Friday 4 April 2014

Lewis Carroll hated fame

Lewis Carroll hated fame

(Based on the article by The Daily Telegraph)
Alice in Wonderland made Lewis Carroll a famous man
  Photo: © ThinkstockEnlarge image
First published in 1865, Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a classic children's story that generationsXgroups of people who were born in roughly the same time period of children have read and loved.
However, the author hated being famous.
Although he was known as Lewis Carroll to most people, the name was actually made up.
His real name was Charles Dodgson.
He used the name 'Lewis Carroll' in order to avoid fans and autograph huntersXpeople who like to collect the signatures of celebrities.
A newly uncovered letter, written by Carroll to a friend in 1891, is helping to explain why.
In it he says that strangers would probably point at him and stare if they knew who Mr Dodgson really was.
He disliked this idea so much that he sometimes wished he 'had never written any books at all'.
Lewis Carroll was so successful that even Queen Victoria wrote to him to say how much she liked his stories.
But he would go to great lengths to avoid attracting attention.
If he received letters from fans who used his real name, he would send them back with a note claiming not to know anything about Lewis Carroll or his writing.
Carroll's letter recently appeared at an auctionXa type of sale, often held in a special building, in which items are sold to the person who offers the most money in London. It sold for £11 825.

This letter written by the author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has revealed how much he hated being famous.
Lewis Carroll didn't use his real name in public because he was afraid people would 'point and stare' if they knew who he was.
He even wished he had never written the books that made him so well known.
  • Would you like to be famous? Why / why not?
  • What kinds of problems can fame cause?
  • If you could go back in time and offer Lewis Carroll a piece of advice, what would you say? 

6 comments:

  1. Lewis Carrol hated fame (homework):

    1. I would like to be famous and all the dear children will come up to me, all in a queue, asking autographs and pictures. I'd be studied in schools, in the future, I would also be on TV shows and I'll be asked lots of questions.

    2. Fame can cause too many problems sometimes such as:
    a) Lots of people on top of your head- People are all asking questions at the same time and you are feeling good but then you get sick of it
    b) Always followed- Once you say your name to someone other people look at you and next thing you've run away and people follow

    3. If I were to go back in time to give advice to Lewis Carrol I would say" go in disguise when your out".

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I will not like to be femous because it sometimes boring. Fame can cause paparazzi to to comeing to you everyday ,so then someone losts a private's life. If I might go back in time then I could say to Lewis Carroll thot being fame can bring a terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just forgot to write my name.sorry.by Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be famous so that i would have 100's of fans who all loved me more for my singing talents.

    Being famous can problems such as being stopped by everyone on the street, having to keep signing autographs. you would get very little peace and quiet, photographers always harassing you. Also the more famous you are the harder you have to work, keep making more and more records.

    if I went back in time and met Lewis Carroll the advice I would give is, don't worry as being famous means you will attract attention but its only because people like you.

    By Jasleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I would like to be famous.

    I would like to be famous because I want to be loved by everyone.

    Fame can cause:
    A)The people mob you.
    B)They take your stuff.
    C)The paparazzi take pictures all day of you.
    D)You were relaxing and suddenly they started taking pictures of you.

    If I went back in time and saw Lewis Carroll i would advice him to change his name and disguise himself.

    By Aaratrika

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to be famous because everyone will know me.I will earn wealth.The queen will appropriate my work.I would have a house,a car and a bike of my own choice.
    I wouldn't like to be famous because I would lose my privacy. Paparazzi would follow me everywhere. I wouldn't be able to go for outing with my family or friends. By Sannan Ali

    ReplyDelete